Once your home or office has suffered water damage from a flood there is always a greater risk for the formation of mold. Not only can mold cause structural damage to your structure it is also a potential health hazard to you and your family. If your building should happen to suffer water damage for whatever reason it’s highly recommended to have it cleaned up as quickly as possible to help prevent an invasion of mold and further costly damage.
Once water or moisture has gotten into your home mold can start growing within 24 to 48 hours since the microorganism particles are already in the air. As long as there is moisture or water present the mold will continue to thrive. The most common areas for mold colonies to be found are in the drywall, carpeting, ceilings, wood, insulation, and the walls etc. The best way to tackle the growth of mold is to make sure the wet/moist areas of the home are dried as quickly as possible.
There are several tips that may help dry out the affected areas and decrease the humidity. If possible you should open up as many doors and windows as possible during the daytime to help dry the area. Placing a series of high-powered industrial fans and/or dehumidifiers in the area will also help speed up the drying process. All wet items and debris should be removed and the exposed surfaces in the affected areas should be cleaned, disinfected and properly sanitized. All wet furniture and personal belongings need to be moved and dried if possible.
Commercial cleaners can be used as well as mildew and mold removers. Other effective disinfectants are tri-sodium phosphate and a mixture of water and bleach. However, if you attempt to treat the areas yourself be sure to wear the proper safety equipment when doing so such as gloves and goggles. As you disturb mold, in can become airborne and become a respiratory issue, which is much more dangerous than mold attached to a wall or floor. In addition, any type of materials that absorb water may need to be removed such as insulation, carpeting, ceiling tiles and drywall. If you are unsure how to treat mold or dry a wet basement it’s generally a wise choice to contact a professional mold treatment company.
If you can’t pull up the carpeting you should at least suck as much moisture out of it as possible with a wet/dry vacuum or carpet extractor. When using fans and dehumidifiers it may take several weeks to completely dry the affected areas and in some cases the carpeting, drywall, insulation etc may have to be replaced. The aim is to reduce the relative humidity in the home as much as possible as this will pull the moisture from the affected surfaces. If the level of humidity can be kept under 50 percent it will help stop mold from growing.
It’s sometimes possible to clean up a flooded or wet home by yourself. However, if it isn’t done properly you could be facing more expensive problems down the road if mold should happen to set it’s for in the building and start to grow. If you should happen to have the misfortune to suffer a wet or flooded basement or home the first thing you should do is contact your insurance company to see exactly what your policy does and doesn’t cover.
If water damage is covered by homeowners insurance policy you will be able to have the problem taken care of immediately by a professional mold contractor such as Restoration Mate. We serve Toronto and the surrounding GTA and our team of skilled technicians will be able to remove all of your damaged items and replace and/or repair what is necessary to dry the area out and prevent mold from forming. For more detailed information and assistance regarding wet/flooded basements and mold treatment/removal please contact us at your convenience.