Sewage backup is an emergency situation that no one wants to ever have to deal with. It is smelly, disgusting, causes expensive damage and is extremely unsanitary. It is a biohazard and must be dealt with very quickly or anyone in the household could become seriously ill. Raw sewage can contain many types of diseases, harmful microorganisms, and bacteria. You will need to call in a professional fast to fix the issue and have the area cleaned and decontaminated properly in the most effective way. The longer you have sewage sitting in your home, the greater the health risks are and the greater the cleanup and restoration costs will be. Sewage backup is not a recommended DIY project. There are far too many health and safety concerns for an untrained person to take on.
However, there are some ways to help minimize your likelihood of experiencing sewer backup. Some are incredibly simple while others are more extensive.
- Do not flush garbage down your toilets. Nothing should be flushed other than toilet paper. Do not flush diapers, feminine products, paper towel, etc. These items do not break down quickly and will cause a clog in the sewer line. Even products that claim to be flushable such as flushable wipes can create problems and are best to be avoided.
- Do not put waste such as grease and coffee grounds down the drain. These are some of the most common items to cause clogs. Grease solidifies once cooled and will build up in your pipes. Running hot water down the drain does not help as commonly thought.
- If you have any illegal plumbing connections, have them rectified. Flood prevention devices and French drains should not be connected to the sewer line as the debris will cause them to clog.
- Have a backwater valve installed. This will ensure that sewage water can flow out but cannot come back in. In Toronto, the city offers rebates for backwater valve installations.
- Replace your sewer line. If you are having issues with your main sewer line and your home is older it may be time to get a new one. Homes that are more than 50 years old are at an increased chance of needing a sewer line replacement. Newer sewer lines use PVC pipes which can last over a hundred years and they also prevent tree roots from growing through them.
If you are in the GTA and need emergency help with a sewer backup, Restoration Mate is here for you. At Restoration Mate we offer 24/7 emergency services for sewer backup. Our professionals are exceptionally fast and are fully trained and certified to handle sewage cleanup, decontamination, disinfection, and restoration. Once we arrive onsite, we will quickly contain the leak and begin with the removal of the sewage water. Our team moves fast to minimize the amount of damage created as well as minimize any health and safety risks.
We take our work and the health of our customers very seriously. Restoration Mate only uses the most advanced equipment to ensure all affected areas are effectively and completely cleaned. We take no chances and will also complete a swab test to ensure that your home is free of harmful bacteria. Your home and your health are important to us.