Essential Water Damage Restoration Tips That Will Help Minimise Your Losses
Storms, flash floods, torrential rains and burst pipes send water gushing into the home quickly, causing extensive water damage and mold formation in a short time. While there are a few things you can do to stem the damage after a storm, one of the best water damage restoration tips you can heed is to hire a licensed professional as soon as possible to carry out immediate and effective damage control. Reputed disaster restoration companies have highly trained staff who use advanced equipment and modern technology to remove all traces of moisture from your premises and help you get back to your regular life as quickly as possible.
Problems Associated With Water Damage And Mold Formation
After a water intrusion, no matter how much water you mop off, much of the damage remains invisible. While you can see and remove the excess water that has accumulated in the various rooms in your home, the water that has found its way inside the walls and under the floorboards remains unseen and unattended to, leading to a whole host of problem.
Destruction of all kinds of materials: The water that is left standing in these places can seep through the walls and floorboards, saturating everything in its path and destroying fragile items such as fabric and paper.
Mold Formation: Water that is left to stagnate can become a breeding ground for mold, which will quickly grow and multiple, making removal even more difficult.
While you are waiting for professional help to arrive, here are a few water damage restoration tips that you should pay attention to:
- Make sure that you shut off the electrical power to your home from the mains to protect yourself and your family from getting electrocuted by devices that may be plugged in or exposed wires that come in contact with the water.
- Wear protective clothing to protect yourself from getting bitted by unwanted creatures such as rodents, rats and snakes that may have swept into the home along with the gushing water.
- Wear thick, sturdy boots that are capable of withstanding accidental animal bites.
- Protect yourself from airborne contaminants by wearing proper eye, nose and mouth protection and rubber gloves.
- Go through your belongings and try and salvage whatever you can. Start with items that are most valuable to you such as photographs, certificates, passports, bank and insurance papers and other official documents.
- Unfortunately, you are bound to come across items that are beyond salvation and need to be thrown away. Make a list of all such items along with the estimated cost as you will need all of those details to file an insurance claim.
What To Expect From A Disaster Restoration Company
Disaster restoration companies such as Rapidcan invest in advanced equipment that is capable of removing the maximum amount of moisture from the atmosphere after a storm. They also make sure that all of their workers are fully trained to use all equipment for maximum effectiveness and safety. In the aftermath of a water intrusion it can be a relief to have a reputed and experienced disaster restoration company to take care of the clean-up while you attend to your family.